Signs of Abuse
Abuse can take on many different forms. Example behaviors are given below. Note that this is just a partial list, and not all of these things might apply in your situation. For further information on signs of abuse and abusive relationships, visit the HelpGuide.org website.
It's not your Fault
Remember that if you are being abused or have been assaulted that it is not your fault. Find a safe environment and a trusted friend to stay with you and call or email us. We can provide assistance and give you helpful information.
Types of Abuse
- Throwing objects at you
- Slapping, hitting or biting you
- Pushing and/or shoving
- Hitting, punching or kicking
- Strangling or throwing you
- Touching you in ways that hurt or scare you
- Depriving you from food, shelter, money or clothing
- Threating you with weapons
- Denying medical treatment
Sexual Assault or Abuse
- Talking about you or others as sexual objects
- Forcing you to have sex
- Accusing you of talking to or having sex with someone else
- Inflicting harm/mutilation to your genitals
- Forcing you to engage in sexual activities you are uncomfortable with
For a Friend or Relative:
Not Sure of the Situation?
Do you suspect a friend or family member has been sexually assauted or is being abused by their partner? Talk to them. Suggest that they contact us; we can help if they are in need. Don't push them; domestic abuse isn't an easy circumstance to accept as a victim. Your friend or family member may be in denial, or give excuses for their partner's actions. Remain persistent. Remind your friend or family member that domestic violence can be stopped, and that they deserve love and care.
Victims of domestic violence or sexual assault may show the following signs:
- Symptoms of depression or anxiety
- Panic attacks, sleeplessness, or suicidal feelings
- Post-traumatic stress reactions
- Feelings of isolation
- Drugs and/or alcohol abuse
- Bruises, grab marks, lacerations, or fractures
- Repeat visits to the emergency room with chronic injuries or vague complaints